Victim of the spring floods? Here are answers to your questions:

The Commission de la construction du Québec would like to address the issue of the flooding that has affected many regions of Quebec, as it relates to the construction industry. 

My house was damaged by water: who should I hire to work on my house?

Work involving renovating, repairing and maintaining a residence is not subject to the Act Respecting Labour Relations, Vocational Training and Workforce Management in the Construction Industry, Act R-20. In practical terms, this means that you can hire the contractors of your choice. However, it is important that you make sure that they hold the appropriate licences. The Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) is your source of information in this regard.

For electrical and gas work, and certain plumbing work, you must ensure that it is performed in compliance with legal requirements.

For plumbing and heating work, you may contact the Corporation des maîtres mécaniciens en tuyauterie du Québec:

For electrical work, or to find an electrical contractor, please refer to the website of the Corporation des maîtres électriciens du Québec:

The plumbing, heating and electrical sectors are particularly critical in post-disaster situations.

Know who you’re doing business with!

Some unscrupulous people could try to capitalize on the increased demand for construction workers and take advantage of those affected by the disaster.

The construction work required after a flood is critical. It requires specific skills defined by law. Before signing a contract, victims must ensure that both employers and workers are competent.

Even if Act R-20 does not apply to your situation, be sure to do business with companies that hold the appropriate licence issued by the RBQ. [lien] It is also recommended that you hire workers who have obtained a competency certificate from the CCQ.

There are situations in which Act R-20 is applicable after a disaster…

If your house has to be completely demolished, including its foundation, before being rebuilt, residential construction regulations apply, as provided in Act R-20. In practical terms, this means that the contractors who work on the reconstruction of your home must hold a licence issued by the RBQ and the construction site workers must hold competency certificates issued by the CCQ.

Act R-20 also applies to buildings intended for rental use and to businesses.

Will work have to stop during the construction holidays?

As stated above, work that involves maintaining, repairing and renovating a person’s residence, i.e., work carried out for a private individual, on a not-for-profit basis, for the dwelling that the individual lives in, is not subject to Act R-20. Therefore, work can continue through the construction holidays.

For businesses and buildings intended for rental use, work involving maintenance, repairs or renovations may continue, depending on the regulations provided in the collective agreements negotiated between the employer associations and union associations.

Similarly, in the case of new residential constructions, work can continue depending on the regulations provided in the collective agreements negotiated between the employer associations and the trade unions.


By continuing to navigate on this site, you accept the use of cookies and other tracers enabling us to propose content and promotions adapted to your interests and to gather visit statistics for the purpose of improving your navigation experience. You may block the transmission of data at any time by using the Google add-on.

To find out more about our confidentiality policy and conditions of use, click here.