Procedure for reserving a place according to the state of a labour pool (Info-pénurie)
When a labour pool opens (less than 5% of holders of an apprentice or occupation competency certificate available), employers who want to reserve a place for a person and thus guarantee that person 150 hours of work over a period of 3 consecutive months must call the Info-pénurie line only, at 514 736-8743 or 1 877 973-6874, when the desired pool is open. The call must be made during the business hours of the phone service at the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ). No request for a reservation is accepted before or after a labour pool is opened.
When the pool is at 30% or less (measure for women), employers wishing to reserve a place for a woman and thus guarantee her 150 hours of work over a period of 3 consecutive months must first verify that the pool is open (less than 5% of workers available):
- If the pool is open, the employer must call the Info-pénurie line only, at 514 736-8743 or 1 877 973-6874, when the desired pool is open. The call must be made during the business hours of the phone service at the CCQ. No request for a reservation is accepted before or after a labour pool is opened.
- If the pool is not open but is at 30% or less, the employer must call the dedicated line for employers (1 877 973-5383), or the line dedicated to the associations.
Candidates cannot reserve their place in a labour pool themselves.
Only an employer or a union association can do so.
Information to transmit
To reserve a place, employers must transmit the following information:
- Their CCQ employer number
- The last and first names of the company’s person responsible
- The region of the pool targeted
- The trade or occupation in the pool targeted
- The last and first names of the worker concerned
- The worker’s social insurance number
- The worker’s date of birth
The worker’s last name, first name, and date of birth must be accurate in order to verify that he or she has passed the Santé et sécurité Générale sur les chantiers de construction course.
When the place is authorized, documents will be sent to the employer by fax or email to confirm the reservation, inform the employer of its obligations, and list the information that the worker will have to transmit to the CCQ to complete the application for issuance of a competency certificate. These documents must be received within the maximum time indicated in the documents sent to the employer. Otherwise, the reservation will be cancelled.
Confirmation number for procedure according to the state of the labour pool
Even when an employer reserves a place, this does not allow immediate access to the construction sites, as the candidate must first hold a valid work permit linked to the pool targeted.
When the reservation is made, if the employer and the worker are qualified, an access code is sent to the employer. This code is used to obtain a procedure confirmation number according to the state of the labour pools, allowing the worker to work on construction sites while the required documents are being sent by mail to the CCQ.
If this confirmation number is not received, the worker must wait to receive his or her competency certificate or exemption to have access to a construction site.