Refrigeration Mechanic Examination
The examination is 3 hours long. It contains 61 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The required passing grade is 60%. The materials for your use during the examination are provided to you. They are: a pencil, a paper sheet, a scientific calculator and an eraser. No other material or reference document is allowed during the examination.
Skill Content on Which Questions May Be Based
Section 1 - Installation of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems (40%)
- Planning interventions on air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Planning the work
- Knowledge of appropriate safety measures
- Installing bases, supports and anchors
- Checking the bases before receiving the equipment Positioning and fastening supports and anchors
- Putting in place the piping, the equipment and accessories of air conditioning and refrigeration system
- Determining the location of equipment, positioning and fastening it
- Piping arrangements
- Applying a brazing procedure
- Installing piping regulators and accessories
- Assembling and installing additional devices and accessories
Section 2 - Commissioning of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration System (40%)
- Preparing the commissioning
- Checking system tightness
- Evacuating the system
- Introducing refrigerant in the system
- Checking the various circuits (electric, control, air, water)
- Commissioning the various systems
- Final adjustments
Section 3 - Maintenance and Repair of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems (20%)
- Maintaining air conditioning and refrigeration system
- Identifying maintenance operations to be performed
- Maintaining the various subsystems
- Repairing air conditioning and refrigeration system
- Detecting the subsystems causing the problem
- Taking different readings of a subsystem
- Identifying the nature and cause of problems (troubleshooting)
- Proposing a solution or correction
- Correcting the problem
Samples of questions for provincial qualification examination.
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
- ALTHOUSE, Andrew D. Modern refrigeration and air conditioning, 19th Ed. Illinois : Goodheart-Willcox Company, 2014, 1466 p.
- CANADIAN STANDARDS ASSOCIATION. Mechanical refrigeration code : B52-13. Mississauga (Ont.) : CSA Group, 2013, 94 p. http://shop.csa.ca/page/home
- RAPIN, Pierre. Technologie des installations frigorifiques, 9e éd. Paris : Dunod, 2011, 575 p. [Only in french]
- SEASIDE COMPUTING. RBIII, ACCB, GFB Basics : combination disc : Refrigeration basics III : Gaz fitter basics : Air-conditioning control basics [cédérom]. Campbell River (B-C) : Seaside Computing, 2012-2014.
- WITHMAN, Bill C. Refrigeration and air conditioning technology, 7th Ed. New York : Delmar Cengage Learning, 1659 p.