The examination is 3 hours long. It contains 60 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The required passing grade is 60%. The materials for your use during the examination are provided to you. They are: a pencil, a paper sheet, a calculator, a ruler and an eraser. No other material or reference document is allowed during the examination.
Skill content on which questions may be based
Section 1 – Site Mobilization and Planning Work (15 %)
- Interpreting plans
- Mobilizing lifting devices
- Erecting scaffoldings
- Planning for safety equipment
Section 2 – Installing Structural and Architectural Elements (45 %)
- Erecting different structural and architectural elements
- Installing rigging
Section 3 – Modifying and Dismantling Structural and Architectural Elements (15 %)
- Performing welding or oxygen cutting of elements
- Modifying parts of structural and architectural elements
- Dismantling structural and architectural elements
Section 4 - Finishing Structural and Architectural Elements (25 %)
- Bolting structural and architectural elements
- Sealing and squaring
- Applying finishes to the work
Samples of questions for provincial qualification examination.
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
- AITHOUSE, Andrew D. et al. Modern Welding, 10th ed., Tinley Park (Ill.), Goodheart-Wilcox, 2004, 784 p.
- ASSOCIATION PARITAIRE POUR LA SANTÉ ET LA SÉCURITÉ DU TRAVAIL. SECTEUR CONSTRUCTION (ASP Construction). Aide-mémoire de prévention – Élingues et accessoires de levage, Anjou, ASP Construction, 2012 (in French only)
Phone: 514 355-6190 or 1 800 361-2061
Fax: 514 355-7861
- ASSOCIATION SECTORIELLE PARITAIRE POUR LA SANTÉ ET LA SÉCURITÉ DU TRAVAIL DU SECTEUR DE LA FABRICATION DE PRODUITS EN MÉTAL, DE LA FABRICATION DE PRODUITS ÉLECTRIQUES ET DES INDUSTRIES DE L’HABILLEMENT (ASPHME). Gréage et appareils de levage, Longueuil, ASPHME, 1998, 92 p. (in French only)
- CHING, Francis D. K. Building construction illustrated, 4th ed., Hoboken (N.J.), John Wiley & Sons, 2008, 480 p.
- COMMISSION DES NORMES, DE L'ÉQUITÉ, DE LA SANTÉ ET DE LA SÉCURITÉ DU TRAVAIL DU QUÉBEC (CNESST). Les échafaudages sur cadres métalliques – Monté sur du solide, CNESST, Montréal, 2014, 26 p. (in French only)
Phone: 1 866 302-2778
- CANADIAN WELDING BUREAU
- CONSTRUCTION SAFETY ASSOCIATION OF ONTARIO (CSAO). Rigger’s Pocket Guide, Etobicoke, CSAO, 2008, 12 p.
- NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA (NRCC). Quebec Construction Code, Chapter I, Building, and National Building Code of Canada 2010 (amended), Ottawa, NRCC, 2015, 1239 p.
Phone: 1 800 672-7990 or 1 613 993-2463
Fax: 1 613 952-7673
- QUÉBEC (PROVINCE). Safety Code for the Construction Industry: S-2.1, r.4 (chapter S 2.1, s. 223): updated to 1 February 2019, Légis Québec, 2019.
Phone: 1 800 463-2100
Fax: 1 800 561-3479
- STEEL STRUCTURES TECHNOLOGY CENTER (SSTC).
- Structural Bolting Handbook, Novi (Mi.), SSTC, 2010, 116 p.
- Structural Welding Quality Handbook, Novi (Mi.), SSTC, 2010, 108 p.
Phone: 734 878-9560
Fax: 734 878-9571