The examination is 3 hours long. It consists of 60 questions and each question is worth 1 point. The required passing grade is 60%. The materials supplied for your use during the examination are: a calculator, a pencil, a paper sheet and an eraser. No other material or reference document is allowed during the examination.
Skill Content on Which Questions May Be Based
Section 1 - Preparatory Work (30%)
- Inspecting the spreader
- Checking mechanical and electrical components, and the condition of the table, tires and tracks
- Applying safety standards and measures
- Detecting blind spots
- Applying the rules for driving the machine in traffic
- Interpreting survey benchmark data
- Starting the machine
- Detecting signs of defects
- Proper functioning of equipement and accessories
- Positioning the machine
Section 2 - Spreading Techniques (50%)
- Applying spreading techniques
- Loading the hopper
- Adjusting components
- Spreading sequence
- Determining the start and end of spreading work
- Correcting paved surface defects
- Determining the cause of imperfections
Section 3 - Stoping and Maintening the Spreader (20%)
- Applying stopping procedures (temporary and final)
- Preparing the machine for transportation on a semitrailer
- Cleaning the spreader
- Maintaining the spreader and lubrication (greasing) components
Samples of questions for provincial qualification examination.
The suggested documents are an important tool to help you prepare for the examination. However, your best asset to write the exam successfully are the quality and diversity of the skills you have acquired during your apprenticeship.
- BITUME QUÉBEC. Guide de bonnes pratiques. La mise en œuvre des enrobés. [On line], Sainte-Julie, Bitume Québec, 2008, PDF.
Téléphone : 1 450 922-2618
(in french only)
- Centre national de conduite d’engins de chantier (CNCEC). Conduite d’engin de chantier, technologie de base. Référentiel de notions théoriques. Lévis, Commission scolaire des navigateurs, 2012, 305 p.
Téléphone : 1 418 839-0500
(in french only)